As part of a performance test, I ran the game with 10,000 ships at the same time. After doing some minor optimizations, It actually ran quite smoothly!
The game automatically shuts down particle effects at a certain threshold. The lack of enemy ships (and thus lack of collision checking) also helps a little. Regardless, I am quite happy with the performance and thought it looked very cool. Enjoy!
After some games with a friend of mine, I have changed the base interface to only allow the creation of one type of ship at the time. This makes the rps game play more pronounced and also forces players to make more use of ship types during the game.
Since strategic RPS has a command based networking protocol, all game states should run identical. Even though the game was set up to do this, some bugs are bound to sneak in while focusing on other parts of the game. I’ve spend the last few weeks on fixing those bugs. Multiplayer game play is now solid as a rock!